- Master's Degrees
- Actuarial Science
- Communications Practice
- Construction Administration
- Fundraising Management
- Information and Knowledge Strategy
- Narrative Medicine
- Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- Sports Management
- Sports Management/Global Sports Law
- Strategic Communications
- Sustainability Management
- Technology Management
- Actuarial Science Online
- Bioethics Online
- Critical Issues in International Relations
- Ecology, Evolution, and Environmental Biology
- Enterprise Risk Management
- Graduate Foundations
- Human Rights
- Quantitative Studies for Finance
- Sustainability Analytics
- Sustainable Finance
- Sustainable Water Management
- United Nations Studies
- Graduate Preparation
- Take Courses
- Business Offerings
- Summer Study
- Columbia Summer Overview
- High School Summer Programs Overview
- High School Programs
- American Language Programs
- Programs Overview
- Intensive English Program
- Part-Time English Programs
- Special Programs
- Advanced Academic Preparation
- Advanced Academic Writing for International Students
- English for Professional Purposes: Business
- English for Professional Purposes: Communications Practice
- English for Professional Purposes: Law
- English for Professional Purposes: SIPA
- English for Professional Purposes: Social Work (Summer)
- English for Social Work (Fall)
- International Teaching Fellows Training
- Executive Programs and Seminars
- Auditing Programs
- Coming Soon
Communications executives learn best practices to operate effectively in a global marketplace.
Strategic Communications: International Perspectives — July 26 to July 31, 2015
During this intensive summer offering, corporate communications executives will learn from thought leaders in the field of strategic communications, share best practices, and understand the importance of operating through a strategic lens. They will appreciate how to respond to the challenges and opportunities presented by operating in a global marketplace, acquire thinking habits to offer superior strategic counsel to internal and external constituents.
Study in the World’s Communications Capital
Strategic Communications: International Perspectives reflects the academic rigor of Columbia University. Instructors are experienced executives and faculty with innovative, creative knowledge of the issues that concern corporate communications practitioners. Sessions take place on Columbia’s Morningside Heights campus, minutes from the heart of New York City, the world's communications capital, home to media firms with a global reach and the corporate headquarters of Fortune 100 companies.
“I have a deeper understanding in communications aspects such as media training, branding, and how to influence my audience.” Maryam Hamli
Class of 2013
Experiential Learning and Interaction
We emphasize the ways strategic communications relates to business objectives and offers solutions for corporate communications leaders to better guide multinational organizations to succeed in the global marketplace. Participants are exposed to strategies for bringing value and leadership to their professional roles and best practices for managing reputation, addressing crises, and learning how to create a viable digital strategy and operate in the social media environment. Sessions examine the changing role of corporate communications.
Using case studies, workplace examples, panel discussions, group exercises, and role playing, session leaders foster a supportive, collaborative environment, enabling a high level of creativity and strategic thinking. Sessions are highly interactive.
Participants will often work in groups to maximize diverse thinking from peers with significant and varied industry experience. The immersive format as well as the opportunity to discover New York City together encourages networking opportunities. Participants develop lasting relationships and continue to forge connections long after the summer.
Who Should Apply
We draw a truly international group of between 18 to 30 executives, each of whom has global responsibilities in communications, media relations, or PR. Participants attend from all over the world, including the U.S. and Canada as well as Europe, South America, the Middle East and Asia. Most are in their 30s or 40s with a minimum of seven years of communications experience.
We invite interested individuals to submit an application and all required supplemental materials by June 1, 2015.