- See all programs >
- Master's Degrees
- Actuarial Science
- Actuarial Science Online
- Communications Practice
- Construction Administration
- Fundraising Management
- Information and Knowledge Strategy
- Landscape Design
- Narrative Medicine
- Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- Sports Management
- Strategic Communications
- Sustainability Management
- Technology Management
- Actuarial Science Online
- Bioethics Online
- Critical Issues in International Relations
- Ecology, Evolution, and Environmental Biology
- Graduate Foundations
- Human Rights
- Quantitative Studies for Finance
- Sustainability Analytics
- Sustainable Water Management
- United Nations Studies
- Graduate Preparation
- Summer Study
- Columbia Students
- Graduate Visiting Students
- Undergraduate Visiting Students
- High School Visiting Students
- Adults & Professionals
- Business Edge
- Business Practice
- Business One Plus One
- Summer Program for High School Students: New York City
- The Barcelona Experience
- Culture and History: Understanding the Arab World
- High School Programs
- American Language Programs
- Programs Overview
- Intensive English Program
- Part-Time English Programs
- Special Programs
- Executive Programs and Seminars
- Auditing Programs
- Coming Soon
Our mission is to prepare students to develop communicative competence in English to function more effectively in academic, professional, and social settings, all in service of the greater good: a just, sustainable, and compassionate global society.
Our English language classes allow students and professionals to:
- broaden and improve their mastery of spoken and written English.
- enjoy the rewards of a program with nearly a century of achievement in the teaching of English as a Second Language.
- study with dedicated, world-renowned faculty.
Welcome Letter From the Director
The American Language Program is a unique educational and cultural experience. Read the welcome message from American Language Program Director David Quinn.
Orientation to the Campus and Neighborhood
Columbia University and New York City have much to offer visitors who are interested in arts, culture, sports, and history. Learn about Columbia University and New York City.
For Incoming Students
Learn what to do upon arrival in the U.S., how to maintain your visa status, and other important tips. Refer to our International Student Resources.
Review ALP levels, the ALP essay exam and the Oxford Online Placement Test, and our placement and promotion appeal policy. ALP Levels & Testing.
For Current Students
Learn about ALP’s academic advising, academic policies, and withdrawal procedures. View information for current ALP students.